Saturday, July 9, 2011

Lundberg Buttery Caramel Rice Cake

The first time I heard of rice cakes was in 6th grade when my class read books from the Fudge Book Series by Judy Bloom. I remember my teacher was surprised that I had no idea what they were, thanks to the fact that my father never let me buy packaged foods.

But now that I don't have to listen to him I can make my own judgements on what to eat and what not to eat. So I was at that local health food store and I found some of these Lundberg Rice Cakes. I've tried Quaker rice cakes before and thought they were okay, but not that great. But for some reason that day I wanted a pack.

So I chose the Eco-Farmed Buttery Caramel variety. Sounds good right? Let's discuss with what that 'Eco-Farmed' part means. Lundberg makes organic and eco-farmed products.

That's the basic chart on their website outlining it all. I figured it be easiest for me and for your understanding if I just post that up there. Basically, the eco-farmed products are a bit more eco-friendly.

Lundberg makes their rice cakes with freshly milled brown rice and packing almost double the amount of rice in one rice cake than other brands do. They pop them on their farm so it's not a factory based product.

They use simple and clean ingreients:
Eco-Farmed whole grain brown rice, dried cane syrup, unsulphured molasses, natural buttery caramel flavor.



All natural, eco-friendly, organic, fresh, how about now for the taste?

Well at first I wasn't too impressed. The buttery caramel flavoring was a bit too light, but you did definitely taste more rice. They were indeed fresh and crunchy. They seemed to have less sugar than the average processed brand that you get at the store, but they were quite fantastic for having such a short ingredients list.


I liked them. I have always liked simple foods. I think the American diet has way too many ingredients in them, as well as way too much sugar. I am ashamed to say that I have fallen for the sugar fever that America has, but I can proudly say that I love the low-sugared pastriess too.

So buy a pack of these, or one of their many other flavors, and enjoy.
I love them topped with peanut butter for breakfast.
Cream cheese or laughing cow sounds good on the saltier varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment