Monday, July 11, 2011

Starbucks Zucchini Walnut Muffin

Coming from our neighbor Mexico, zucchinis are wonderful vegetables that have a lot going for them. You can eat them in almost any possible way. My personal favorite is in these veggie patties that I make at home.

Zucchinis are a very low calorie vegetable. 100 grams of this stuff is only about 35 calories. Low in calories, yet high in fiber. These squash are also high in potassium which is known to reduce blood pressure and heart rate by counteracting the affects of salt on your body. Not to mention that zucchinis are chocked full of antioxidants that can get rid of those nasty free radicals that cause aging, cancer, and other diseases in your body. Not to mention the excellent source of vitamin C and magnesium that it has.

So naturally after hearing all that you gotta love this stuff.

Since my oven is broken I've been feasting off sweets from places other than my home for months. I think I would die without baked goods so I have to get them from another source. This time it was Starbucks. I chose the Zucchini Walnut Muffin, never trying the one at Starbucks before. I've never thought of vegetables in sweets as weird truthfully. When I was little my mother would make carrot cakes and zucchini cakes that were irresistibly delicious. When I visit my uncle in Turkey, he made us an olive loaf (which actually wasn't that fantastic, but kudos for being just good).



The muffin was about the size of my fist, which is a decent size but it could be bigger. There was a couple walnut pieces stuck on the top and it smelled lightly spiced. I heard from somewhere that it tastes like their banana bread, which I have yet to try. This just proved to me more that Starbucks reuses the same batter for a couple of their desserts. For instance, their Blueberry Muffin and Very Berry Coffee Cake have the same exact cake batter. This is not a complaint, just an observation. Their cake batter is one of the best I've ever tried.

The muffin tasted delicious. The texture was very fluffy, as the description of he muffin claims. It was a little lest poundier than their Blueberry Muffin, yet still has thicker-than-cake feel to it. The description also doesn't lie when it claims this cake is "delicate". It was moist and fresh. If you examine the muffin you notice the little green zucchini pieces floating around. Mine didn't have very many walnut pieces though, which was a little disappointing. The spice was perfect and the batter tasted homemade.

I actually chose to eat this for lunch. Granted it is not the healthiest option, but I was in the mood for something sweet. Actually, it would be better for you metabolism to eat the "lunch" foods for breakfast and the "breakfast" foods for lunch anyways.

It's all natural with no artificial flavoring or preservatives. You'd think the low-cal zucchini would lower the stats on this, but you would be dead wrong. Just like how salads are not something you want to order at a restaurant.

Each muffin has 490 calories, 28 grams of fat, 52 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fiber, and 7 grams of protein. You may be better off with one of Uncle Harry's Bagels or a soft pretzel, but nothing would compare to the wonderful taste of these muffins. So I say eat less of other things for a day and taste one of these muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment